In this article, you’ll learn two easy methods to use your laptop as a monitor. The first method is through the HDMI port and the second one is by connecting it via DisplayPort. Once you complete these steps successfully, there are plenty of ways that you can expand on them for added functionality or ease of use—make sure to buy an adapter/extension cord if needed.
Have you just discovered that you can utilize your laptop screen as a secondary screen and are eager to put it to use? We’ve described the two most straightforward approaches and the instructions in this tutorial. Use your laptop as a monitor by following their instructions!
It’s not an easy procedure, but we’ve tried to make it as fast and straightforward as possible. There’s nothing to be concerned about if you’re not a technical person. Furthermore, it does not need any technological expertise on your part. But, of course, it would be ideal if you could only have a rudimentary notion of the system you possess.
If you’re thinking about connecting your PC to your laptop via an HDMI connection, that’s not the best option. Because it will only transmit your PC’s screen onto your computer, it will not function as a video input for another device.
What Is The Best Way To Use My Laptop As A Monitor?
The setup may be done in several different ways. You may utilize Windows’ built-in functionality or download third-party applications from the Internet. Let’s get started with step a.
Method 1: Using Miracast [On a Windows Computer]
Miracast is a built-in program included with the most recent versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system. However, before you can use it to connect the laptop as a monitor, you must first set it up.
follow the procedures on the computer that will be used as a monitor,
1. Select Settings from the Start Menu.
2. Now, hit the “System Icon” button.
3. On the left menu, look for “Projecting to this PC” and choose it.
4. Change the first drop-down option to Available Everywhere to enable other items to project on it.
5. Make any other modifications that are needed.
This is all you’ll need to do to get your laptop ready to utilize a second monitor. Now let’s look at the settings for the computer to which it will be connected.
Carry out the main PC instructions that serve as the primary display.
1. Go to the Task Bar and choose the Notifications icon.
2. Now, click the “Connect” button. on the Notifications windows
3. On the screen, your Main PC will seek for an available device to connect to. When your laptop’s name displays on the screen, press it. Choose it.
4. Accept the connection request by looking at your laptop and accepting the proposal.
5. Select “Display Settings” from the right-click menu on the PC’s desktop.
6. Change the “Multiple Displays” portion of the Monitor option to “Extend desktop to this display.”
7. Your laptop has now been successfully configured as a secondary display.
You may now utilize the second monitor to effortlessly see numerous documents at once. Also, depending on your demands and requirements, do a variety of different measures.
Method 2: Using a Third-Party Tool
If you are dissatisfied with Miracast’s service, you may attempt a third-party web application that performs comparable functions. For example, we’re utilizing Space Desk, a pretty popular product.
- System Prerequisites
- Primary Computer
- Windows 10, 8.1, and 7 (version 1607 – later only).
- NVIDIA/AMD/Intel/Basic Display graphics adapter
- WDDM 2.6/2.5/2.4/2.3/2.2/2.1/2.0/1.3/1.2/1.1 WDDM 2.6/2.5/2.4/2.3/2.2/2.1/2.0/1.3/1.2/1.1 WDDM 2.6/2.5
- 12/11/10/9 DirectX
- As a backup monitor
- Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (32-bit), and 7 (64-bit)
- DirectX 10 is the latest version of DirectX.
- DirectX WARP (at least 800 MHz CPU and 512MB RAM)
Toto the official website and download the program. To use Space Desk, Download the Space Desk Viewer Software for Secondary Machine for your laptop, which will be utilized as a second display. This app is also accessible for iPhone and iPad users, which will delight you. Next, download the Space Desk Drive Software for Windows Primary PC for the primary PC.
Follow the procedures above on your primary PC and laptop.
1. Install the program on both systems and restart to complete the installation.
2. Confirm that both systems are linked to the same LAN or wireless network.
3. Open the program on your computer.
4. The system will automatically recognize your Primary computer on the list.
5. Select Connect after recognizing your system.
6. Your main PC is now linked to you.
If your PC is not displayed as soon as you launch the program on your laptop, don’t hesitate to contact us. You may attempt another method that does not need the internet.
1. On your laptop, go to the Space Desk HTML Viewer link.
2. You will be prompted to enter your primary computer’s IP address.
3. To find out your IP address, just run the program on your main computer, and the address will be shown.
4. Copy the address and paste it into the box provided on your laptop screen, then click Connect.
5. You may now utilize your laptop as a second display.
Depending on your connection type, you may attempt any of the two steps. Both of them operate flawlessly and are pretty simple to use.
The Advantages of Using a Second Screen
We’ve already figured out how to turn your laptop into a second display and set it up. The only concern is why most people, particularly programmers, have been doing this at work, particularly those who work from home. If you’re not convinced about this configuration, let’s have a look at the advantages it may provide.
1. Using a variety of applications
The central concept is to run numerous programs simultaneously, such as Adobe Creative Cloud or Microsoft Office, games, documents, spreadsheets, movie/video streaming, and so on. In fact, when you can quickly drag the file from one machine to another, it appears absolutely fantastic. Many individuals have a job schedule that requires them to work and study on many subjects at the same time.
A content writer, for example, must navigate between many Chrome tabs to research and generate material at the same time. This might also be useful if you need to view a video while keeping an eye on your email at the same time. This arrangement is also popular among YouTubers, gamers, and Twitch broadcasters,
2. Makes you more productive
It doesn’t matter what field you’re in or what position you have in a corporation. Having numerous displays can speed up your process and boost your productivity. Without a doubt, someone who works as a freelancer would gain much from this. The task can be done with the correct setup in the office and the finest technology. Furthermore, you may link your smartphones or tablets via third-party programs.
3. For Internet Marketers
In the long term, multiple displays have shown to be quite beneficial to marketers. Copying and sharing media files, uploading updates, tracking finances and other statistics, and so on have all been simplified. It also can readily share data across many platforms with just a simple drag and drop. There is little denying that multitasking has become simpler in recent years.
The Final Word
There are several more advantages in addition to the ones listed above. However, make sure you have a system that is compatible and enables an excellent display on the secondary system.
To set up several displays on your laptop and main PC, you may use a variety of additional KVM software or third-party programs. The Input Director, ShareMouse, and other famous ones are just a few examples. They all serve the same objective, but each has a somewhat different method of configuring the system as required.
Before you download any programs, make sure you verify your system requirements. Allow Windows Firewall to scan for viruses on the system if these programs were used to infect the system.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I turn my laptop into a HDMI monitor?
A: You need to install a driver for any HDMI monitor. If the laptop does not have one, you will be able to find it online or in Windows Update or on your manufacturers website.
How can I use my laptop as a monitor for two monitors?
A: In order to use your laptop as a second monitor on two monitors, you will need an extra display port. You can also buy a dongle from the Microsoft Store or find one online that is compatible with your computers type and output resolution.
Can you run two screens from a laptop?
A: Two screens can be run from a laptop.
- can you use a laptop as a monitor for a desktop
- use laptop as second monitor for another laptop
- use the laptop as a second monitor for windows 10
- how to use the laptop as a monitor for pc
- how to use the laptop to monitor HDMI